CALCIUM AKG LONGEVITY
Alpha-ketoglutarate (AKG) is a compound that is created naturally in the body
but tends to diminish with age. In supplement form, AKG can be attached to a calcium salt (Ca-AKG), which has been studied for its role in supporting metabolic function and longevity (1).
Ca-AKG is involved in stimulating protein synthesis and energy production in the body, as it is a vital component of the Kreb’s cycle - the process that creates ATP (energy) from food. Ca-AKG is also a source of the essential amino acids needed to make collagen, which is a protein that helps to support bone and muscle health.
Additionally, Ca-AKG facilitates our internal recycling process known as autophagy, which removes dysfunctional cells, cell parts, and proteins from the body. Autophagy tends to decrease with age, so Ca-AKG may be able to help support this process.
Research has found that AKG lengthened lifespan in roundworms by up to 50% and delayed signs of aging (2). This may be because Ca-AKG activates AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) - a pathway that senses and maintains cellular energy balance by supporting the function of our cells' main energy hubs (the mitochondria) and healthy blood sugar control (3).
Ca-AKG has also been shown to boost cellular antioxidant levels in aged mice, which helped support the mice’s blood vessel elasticity - a measure of good cardiovascular health (4).
Calcium AKG Longevity Support Energy Production, Bone Strength, and Metabolic Function With Age
- Supports healthy aging processes
- Supports heart, bone, and metabolic health
- Supports cognitive vitality
- Helps to boost antioxidant levels inside cells
- Asadi Shahmirzadi A, Edgar D, Liao CY, et al. Alpha-Ketoglutarate, an Endogenous Metabolite, Extends Lifespan and Compresses Morbidity in Aging Mice. Cell Metab. 2020;32(3):447-456.e6. doi:10.1016/j.cmet.2020.08.004
- Chin R, Fu X, Pai M., et al. The metabolite α-ketoglutarate extends lifespan by inhibiting ATP synthase and TOR. Nature. 2014;510:397–40. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature13264
- Wu N, Yang M, Gaur U, Xu H, Yao Y, Li D. Alpha-Ketoglutarate: Physiological Functions and Applications. Biomol Ther (Seoul). 2016;24(1):1-8. doi:10.4062/biomolther.2015.078
- Niemiec T, Sikorska J, Harrison A, et al. Alpha-ketoglutarate stabilizes redox homeostasis and improves arterial elasticity in aged mice. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2011;62(1):37-43.
|Serving Size: 2 Capsules
|Servings Per Container: 30
|Amount Per Serving
|Calcium Alpha Ketoglutarate
|† Daily Value not established
Suggested Use: Take 2 capsules daily, in the morning, with or without food.
Storage: Store in a cool, dry place after opening. Keep out of reach of children.
Contraindications: If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking prescription drugs, consult your health care professional before using this product.
Other Ingredients: Organic Rice Flour, Vegetarian Capsule (Cellulose and water)
Contains No: Artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, dairy, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, gluten, soybean, corn, or yeast.
- What Time of Day Should I Take Ca-AKG?
Ca-AKG can be taken at any time of day, as it does not interfere with the circadian rhythm or possess stimulant properties.
- What’s the Difference Between AKG and Ca-AKG?
Ca-AKG is more stable and easily absorbed compared to AKG. It also has a greater impact on collagen formation.
- Should I Take Ca-AKG on An Empty Stomach or With Food?
It can be taken with or without food.
Store at room temperature, away from direct sunlight.
- Does Ca-AKG Have Side Effects?
Ca-AKG is known to have no side effects.
All items will be processed and dispatched within 2 working days of order (unless stated otherwise). Delivery costs and timeframes will depend upon your delivery location, for this information please review the delivery options at the checkout.
In some instances, multi-product orders will arrive in separate deliveries.
In certain instances, international buyers will incur import duties.
For more information on our return/refund policy please see here.