How To Induce Autophagy Without Fasting
"How To Induce Autophagy Without Fasting" is a key concept for many, as most of us know that fasting triggers our body's ability to clean and renew its own cells, known as autophagy. However, the challenge is that fasting isn't so easy for everyone.
- Some of us have busy social and professional commitments that make it difficult to avoid eating.
- Others, like me, have hypothyroidism which means that our bodies think we are going into a sustained period of starvation when we begin to fast, and in their wisdom try to protect our ability to survive by down regulating our metabolism and making it difficult for bioavailable T3, one of our key thryoid hormones, from attaching to the receptors in our cells.
Understanding the Hormonal Impact of Fasting and the Need for Non-Fasting Autophagy Activation
At the same time, our bodies adrenal glands will increase cortisol production as a way to better regulate blood sugar, but this can lead to chronic inflammation and decreased production of melatonin. If that weren't bad enough, all that extra cortisol has to be made from another key hormone, progesterone, which helps us sleep, but also helps balance out our estrogen levels.
I think you can see why some of us would be highly motivated to find ways to trigger autophagy without having to fast!
What Is Autophagy?
Autophagy is a natural process in which our cells degrade and recycle components, removing damaged cells and generating new ones. This process is crucial for cellular health and longevity.
How To Induce Autophagy Without FastingThe Best Lifestyle Habits and Therapies That Induce Autophagy in the Brain
- Intense Exercise: Incorporating resistance training and high-intensity workouts can stimulate autophagy.
- Prioritize Good Sleep: Quality sleep is essential for promoting autophagy, particularly in the brain.
- Heat and Cold Therapy: Regular exposure to heat (like saunas) and cold (like cold showers) can induce autophagy.
Autophagy Supplements & Foods
Have you heard of spermidine? Spermidine is a natural polyamine we produce in our gut biomes that, just like our body's autophagy process, reduces as we age. Thankfully, we can get it from spermidine-rich foods like Japanese fermented natto, tempeh, mature cheddar cheese, and spermidine supplements.
Spermidine has been proven to induce autophagy and acts as a calorie restriction mimetic, providing all the benefits of fasting without the pain. It also inhibits 9 of the 12 hallmarks of aging (the pathways through which your body ages and what is responsible for the signs and symptoms of aging).
Our premium, food-derived spermidine supplement, Primeadine, is made from food-derived concentrated wheat germ and offers a highly bioavailable way to up your spermidine intake. It's rigorously tested for purity and potency in Japan and the USA and some of the benefits of triggering autophagy and inhibiting the hallmarks of aging that you can expect include:
- Improved hair growth, quality and thickness (including lashes and eyebrows)
- Healthier nails and skin
- Better, deeper sleep
- Improved cognition and reduced brain fog
- Feeling more vibrant and vital
And of course, all of the benefits you can't see and feel but are happening as a result of kickstarting your cellular renewal process.
Learn more about our autophagy-inducing supplement, Primeadine.